Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator putting out to many volts

Default Alternator putting out to many volts

i noticed today that my alternator seems to be putting out WAY to many volts...yesterday it was putting out 13.5-14.5 (tested with an electrical tester on the battery terminals) and today it's putting out 16-17 and the volt gauge is preety much pegged out....

this is in an 88 mustang (pretty sure thats irrelevant though) with an old carbed 302 in it....

correct me if i am wrong, but aren't the stock ford alternators externally regulated? did my regulator poop out on me? how much are they?

i was flipping through my Summit catalog earlier and saw a 100 amp 1 wire Ford alternator for $130......if a regulator is very expensive, i may just go that way to help get rid of some more of that crazy ford wiring....

Banned

yup sounds like the regulator...

Sounds like the regulator. You need to get that fixed asap or the next thing that will poop out will be your lights at the most inopportune moment if you know what I mean.

dang, so i need a transmission and a regulator (or maybe a new 1 wire alt, depending).....

at $81.56 a week, this could take a while......

What Alternator are you using?? Are you using a run of the mill 79-93 alternator (75a), or are you using a 95+ 130a? The 130a usually puts out 14.5, as it should. The 75a will usually only put out 12.5-13 max.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amagine View Post
    that's just the way he is. There's a short between his internal dialogue and his external output.

Talk to coupe devil about a tranny, he has 2 autos laying in the shop that could probably be made into one
    Quote Originally Posted by beansrown View Post
    5.0L_Of_Fury is a douche.
    Quote Originally Posted by need4speed9000 View Post
    ^ my gf screams his name during sex
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI guy View Post
    Adam on the other hand.... has brought a Mustang...
    [Today 8:36 AM] Supergoob: Massive raging rock hard retard penis

AVR all the way. If you have a stock alternator setup you are externally regulated.
    Quote Originally Posted by jershelb View Post
    Dibs on Brad Marshall
    SRT-4 with some bolt ons

Old whips
    - 2003 KB Cobra / 600whp
    - 1991 Ford Mustang Hatch / 600whp
    - 1997 BMW 540i/6 - CAI - 18" staggared M Motorsport Reps - M5 clutch and Flywheel - M3 SSK - 3.15 LSD - Full catless Dinan exhaust - CDV Delete - 9k HIDs
    - 2003 Ford Mustang Cobra / 515 rwhp
    - 1997 BMW 328is/5 - m50 mani. - AA CAI - FDM - UUC SSK - AA crack pipe - M3 ECU by AA - HIDs
    - 1992 Honda Civic DX Hatch / JDM b18c

can someone please tell me how the alt is SUPPOSED to be wired? I have a feeling it's not wired right......

i'm not sure which alt it is, I cant find a number or anything on it, but it has three posts.....

if you hold it so your looking at the back, the posts make a triangular shape,

-top post has a single wire running from it to the positive terminal on the battery

-the post on the right has a single wire going to a box (I assume this is the regulator?) that has 2 wires coming out that go into the main wiring harness and one that is just taped off

-the post on the left has nothing attached to it at all, my guess is there should be somehting connected here, but nothing is....

this is how it was when I got the car, all I have done as far as wiring to the alt is changed the wire from the top post to the battery because they had like a 16 or 18 guage wire there...I used a 10 guage, but was told I should make it bigger, should I?

i am considering getting a one wire conversion kit for the alternator that came off my old s10...i found a site that tells how to put a GM alt on a Ford and it seems pretty simple, just a new spacer and drilling out the pivot hole to 7/16" like the ford alt....

the s10 alt was practically brand new when i pulled it off when i scrapped the truck......

Quote Originally Posted by jershelb
    AVR all the way. If you have a stock alternator setup you are externally regulated.
    Are you sure? I have always been lead to understand they are internally regulated.

It also depends on the year of the engine and if that Alt. came from it or not. And I was wrong 79-85 use a diff alt. than a 86-93.

Know the guy personally that wrote this article.

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/130a-tech.html
    Last edited by WhiteCoupe; 08-04-2007 at 05:27 AM.
    that's just the way he is. There's a short between his internal dialogue and his external output.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCoupe
    Are you sure? I have always been lead to understand they are internally regulated.

It also depends on the year of the engine and if that Alt. came from it or not. And I was wrong 79-85 use a diff alt. than a 86-93.

Know the guy personally that wrote this article.

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/130a-tech.html
    I'm pretty sure, if the second wire down (not the main hot wire) runs into a black box, that should be the ext avr... I think...

Dougy - I looked into converting mine to a single wire GM setup, but mine is now setup like the '95+ style, internally regulated 150 amp.
    Dibs on Brad Marshall
    SRT-4 with some bolt ons

Old whips
    - 2003 KB Cobra / 600whp
    - 1997 BMW 540i/6 - CAI - 18" staggared M Motorsport Reps - M5 clutch and Flywheel - M3 SSK - 3.15 LSD - Full catless Dinan exhaust - CDV Delete - 9k HIDs
    - 1997 BMW 328is/5 - m50 mani. - AA CAI - FDM - UUC SSK - AA crack pipe - M3 ECU by AA - HIDs

well, i think i found the answer to all my problems.....i asked my neighbor if he knew where i could get a C4 transmission and he said no, but i will sell you my truck.....

it's a 70's f100 with a 302 and automatic trans, from what i can find, it should be a c4, which means for $300, i will have a spare engine that needs a rear main, a trans, an spare alt, a voltage regulator, and a truck that i can scrap and make a lot of my money back.....

More than likely a C6 or a T10 trans.

Jerm, 86+ Mustangs (starting with all the FI cars) have internally regulated alternators.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCoupe
    More than likely a C6 or a T10 trans.

Jerm, 86+ Mustangs (starting with all the FI cars) have internally regulated alternators.
    Awesome, thanks for the info.

Dougy, good luck with the parts truck. Hopefully it has a c4!
    Dibs on Brad Marshall
    SRT-4 with some bolt ons

Old whips
    - 2003 KB Cobra / 600whp

the truck needs a rear main seal and a fuel line, so i think i might just fix it and drive it for a while and rebuild the transmission thats in the car now...that way i know it's good and not just a junkyard trans thats on it's last leg....

i'm thinking the truck might look good lowered about 4" with some 16" aluminum wheels, trim removed (which is in very good shape, i could probably sell it and get some money for it), and painted black.....
    Last edited by 1SloStang; 08-06-2007 at 02:10 PM.